Thursday 6 August 2015

Clare


I saw you as an enemy.
A threat to him, Dan and me.
You tried so hard and we were awful;
what an absolute mess to scramble into.
Like a wildflower, though, you stuck in there.
Despite a sixteen-year-old bitch with blonde hair.

 Once I ungracefully emerged from adolescence
I could see this “Clare”.
A travelling chick, beautiful and cool;
even with Dad…you were nobody’s fool.
Clever, funny and smart. In the end,
you became my dearest and most treasured friend.

You know me. Because you tried to.
You’re a riverbank that I can cling on to.
A sturdy rock under a waterfall.
When things get too fast, you put on the brakes,
and I don’t always thank you enough.

And of course there’s some stuff I can’t say.
Like now she’s gone, and even before,
I consider you a mother.
Myself and my brother: our hearts would break
if you weren’t here.

Thank you,
thank you for always being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment