Tuesday 28 March 2017

The Day of You and Me/I


We can take this little day and call it “You and Me”.
I’ll look at the London sky and you’ll look at the sea.
You can be a shingle beach beneath my barefoot feet
and I will be a parasol to shield you from the heat.

You could launch a firework across the granite sky
and I could build a bonfire to make the embers fly.
You might plant a silver fern and sprinkle it with water;
I might pick a Yorkshire rose to feel myself a daughter.

You have held fast to the string and tried to calm a kite,
while I was whipping in the wind and feigned the taking flight.
You were there, your flag full-mast, and coaxed me to the shore
but I was far too anchored fast down to the murky floor.

Yet you are still a beacon of back where we lived a life
and I will doggy-paddle back to where you’re more than wife.
Know I will never throw away this friend that is my “other”:
you are the jewel inside a cave I plundered to find “mother".

I love you and I love you and I love you till I die.
You are the one, my inner soul, my me, myself and I.


Happy You and I Day. 
Sometime in March. 
2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment