Tuesday 26 May 2015

Brother

At first it was small,
then it grew into a person that was you.
A pillow over the face, Magic taking flight,
some unremarkable days
and clutched-up nights.
The fights you used to manufacture with a stuffed elephant.  

Me kicking out, acting the witch.
You, who would never lie.
Somehow thirty years have gone by.
Pride and anger and love and frustration:
a repertoire that stretched from Devon to London
could never get the
way I feel about you spot-on.

In Torquay, you slashed the hair from my trolls.
I cut the wires of your toy and
we started fires when we became friends.
Later, a fist through a car window…
and other things. You worried them,
and you worried me.
Some flames are best left to burn out into embers,
but please remember not to revisit:
fighting is not the best way to pretend she's not gone.

You didn't know your own strength then.
You still don't.
It’s strong to start again;
even more so a number of times.
You’ll always be fine, because you have the
best of those two and maybe a little of me.
Now show us that person we knew you would be all along.
Pierre and Mr Twit taught you to be clever and kind to others.  
I admire my brother.
 
He’s a friend, and that thing they brought home, in the end
might be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment