Tuesday 26 May 2015

Some beacons are brighter than others

Like a silent village on the edge of the sea,
you’ve been there for me through the chops.
And the rough tides,
and all of those sea metaphors.
That’s what friends are for, right?
But generally, they’re not.
I think for a time I might have forgotten how to be…
well, just to be.
 
You didn’t forget me.
 
You were there despite the strife going
on in your life.
Your kitchen and your cat.
You made me feel more important
than all of that.
Remember wine and whinging, bingeing on things
and each other?
Tori and Sia and Kate Bush and another, and another.

Eltham and New Cross and Watford and Torquay.
Where I’ve been, I always want you to be.  
And think of the new things that Tring can bring!
The rhyme is getting ridiculous
but I keep thinking of you, me and us.

On a serious note...
My wonderful, fiery, unstoppable friend.
Pride doesn’t cut it. Love doesn’t either.
You’re my teacher. You have been my stabilisers.
So many hotels and drinks and appetisers. 
Bath robes and hostels, 
fights and hugs...we laugh now about it. 
If you could flout a friendship, I'd flout ours. 

And now we're older, a little less bold in our beliefs, 

but we are secure in the knowledge we'll 
have a you and a me,
and a suitcase full of memories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment