Thursday 29 December 2016

The Sea




A detour, I stopped and sat on
the shingle shore. Grey, save for
some glints shining through and wide
at low tide. I watched and smelled the churn of the sea.
My fingers found a smooth cold stone, 
I lanced it into the unknown,
and I imagined it was me.

I've coasted through the air and
I’ve been to the seabed, skimmed the superficial and
dropped, left only
mini-ripples on top of the blue.
Like the pebble I threw, I've been trimmed by the
eroding; turned nearly to sand
by the thrashing of the current. 
Currently, the pebble that is me is underneath
still. But it will - eventually - be delivered 
back to the beach by the ebb and the flow.
This I know.

As I left, the sun overcame the overcast
and made glimmering shimmies like
a last foray of desperate disco balls.
Before the next cloud falls over the sun, I thought,
One last glance. I thought:
I could be really living, instead of surviving.

I could dance home instead of driving,
and rather than stumbling, I could be diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment