Thursday 29 December 2016

Without the Trimmings



This Christmas I shed all my flimsy trimmings.
With eyes involuntarily brimming and
in a transparent pantomime I tried
to pretend I’d not been caught out this time.
I didn’t intend to fall short and had been looking forward to it.
I would sprint toward it and feel like
this wasn’t such a show,
that I wasn’t just dragging myself through like a year ago.

Apparently though, the dormant thing
was not dormant at all.
I erupted then froze and then
fire and then gall and then a brawl.
The blanket-pall that
shrouds what’s left of a heart and
cloaks it in frost means that
Christmas is another luxury lost to me now.

Tears sprang like a leak and I tried to sneak off like a thief;
ashamed to show my face to the underneath;
titbits of melodies beneath, words I remember
singing when I was young sounded now
like Sanskrit tongues, extinct and far-flung.
When I was young, I’d be down there. I’d have done my hair
been involved. Left a trace. Not now.
I didn’t know my place within these walls.
When I walked down the stairs,
descending and half-whimpering
to Shane and Kirsty McColl,
I didn’t feel a home in theirs, at all.

I smeared on lipstick in the bathroom like a gurn,
hoping the war-paint would turn me into
something more strong. I wanted to sing along, be part of the
party. Eat some hearty food, play charades,
get a little tipsy, watch trash TV. But the real
charade in the house was me
And it was was wearing thin.
Don’t be a victim. You’re ruining this. Stop crying.
Do what we’re doing.
Who cares if we’re lying? It’s just a game.
Forget to remember that things will never be the same.

So I put on that show. I stopped crying and I held my burning tongue.
But like when we were young, that wasn’t quite enough.
At the knock on the door and in puff of smoke,
Christmas had disappeared
and just as I’d feared the one who pulled the most tragic joke
out of the cracker is the horse everyone is willing to back.
Homeless but home; party hat on, slumped on a gilded throne,
friend to no one but never alone.

Just as I remember but can never get back
the way my mother really smelled,
this Christmas was a fir tree, majestic once
but hacked and long-felled.
Riddled with rot and nearly dissolved,
we tried but there are some problems
that will never be solved with a holiday by rote.

This little boat will never reach an even keel
and some fractures cannot be commanded to heal;
I won’t be told to unfeel what aches in my chest.  
Some volcanoes will erupt after months of resting
and some bonds will not withstand the testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment